Issue 49 - Voluntary Removal from the Register
The Board reports on a variety of statistics each year in the Annual Report. Various presentations on statistics in relation to registration, licensing and complaint investigations are also reported separately and published on the Board’s website under Resources, Statistics.
Recently the Board has invited veterinarians to provide a reason when seeking voluntary removal from the Register (see Selected Reasons for Voluntary Removal from the Register below).
Selected Reasons for Voluntary Removal from the Register
Veterinarians Moving to Another Jurisdiction
As can be seen from the graphs above, the main reason for voluntary removal from the Register is moving to a new jurisdiction but more than 20% are either retiring from the profession, leaving the profession or taking a career break.
Analysis of a sample of our letters of professional standing processed by the Board reveal that of those moving jurisdictions over 60% are staying within Australia. For this sample, the remaining 40% moved in approximately equal numbers to North America, Hong Kong and the UK and Ireland with just a few less moving to New Zealand.