A person must not perform a restricted act of veterinary science in NSW unless the person is a veterinary practitioner. 

Only suitably qualified persons who are registered are able to represent themselves to be veterinary practitioners and recover fees or charges for performing restricted acts of veterinary science.

Veterinary practice legislation provides that the owner of the animal, an employee of the owner of the animal, a student enrolled in an approved course of study, other persons accredited by the Board, and persons who hold an animal research authority may perform restricted acts of veterinary science.  The Veterinary Practice Act 2003 and other legislation, such as the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 and the Animal Research Act 1985, limit the performance of restricted acts by non-veterinarians in these circumstances.

Apply for registration 

Information for veterinarians who wish to register in NSW.

Renew your registration

The registration period is from 1 July to 30 June. Registration must be renewed during May each year.

Restore your registration

If you have previously been registered in NSW and wish to restore your name to the Register.

Register outside NSW

If you are registered in NSW and wish to apply for registration in another Australian state or territory or another country you may need a Letter of Professional Standing from the NSW Board.

Voluntary removal

If you are no longer residing in NSW you should remove yourself from the Register.

Change your details

Update your residential or work address using the Vet Login or by submitting a form.

Check your CPD

Use the Vet Login to view the number of CPD points you have submitted for the current CPD cycle.